maandag 20 augustus 2012

I wouldn't say judgemental, rather critical

By Neslihan


I collect magazines. It might not come as a surprise but I love to buy fashion related magazines. I love the idea that the whole crew has worked a whole month on it (in some cases even 'months'). I love the idea of actually waiting for something. I love discovering something new, learning something I didn't know until then. I love to look at the flawless pictures and impeccable stylings. I love to read the articles. Yes, I'm one of those people who actually READS the damn thing. So it might also not come as a surprise that I'll be reveiwing Vogue Turkey's August issue in this post.
I've waited 2-3 weeks until I finally laid my hands on the Turkish edition of one of my favourite magazines. When I think of 'Vogue' I think of different countries showing what they've got fashionwise. Every issue should be recognisable. And every issue should also introduce its own young talents to ensure tomorrow's fashion. Vogue should be a platform for unknown artists and I think that's exactly what Vogue Turkey has tried this month. A magazine that actually teaches you something, that really is refreshing. 
My favourite article was actually the one about Oscar Wilde. It says that he has been a fashion editor for 2 years! I was so surprised when I read that because Mister Wilde isn't just an ordinary author. He was one of the leading literaries during the 20th century. He's the man behind the many poems but most important the man behind the horrifying 'The Picture Of Dorian Gray'. So why did Oscar become a god damn fashion editor? He simply needed the money and liked social events that came with the whole thing. He even changed the name of the magazine. He hated the 'lady' word so he changed the original Lady's World into Women's World. 
"When Oscar Wilde went to work at a women's fashion magazine to earn some money, all his friends made fun of him. They said he wasn't manly and professional enough and that he didn't have morals."
Even though I liked the photoshoots ( 'Yol Arkadasi Nur Fattahoglu' and 'Isiga Dogru') and articles, certainly those about newly discovered Turkish designers, there were also some things I didn't like.I thought the cover was tacky. What is wrong with that cleavage? Don't get me wrong; Miranda Kerr is a beautiful woman but I've never really thought of her as a high fashion model. Victoria's Secret isn't fashion, sure it's entertaining but it is not fashion. Miranda might work on that catwalk but she doesn't in Vogue. She has a strong and very expressive look and that doesn't quite work in huge fashion shoots. A model to me is a canvas, someone who can be everything/ everyone. Sometimes all at once. Miranda is sexy. And beautiful. Full stop.
 Another thing I didn't like was the fact that they had taken several photoshoots of the American Vogue. Sure it happens all the time but it is annoying. The whole Emma Stone shoot of July was also in this month's Vogue Turkey. Rather repetitive.
I adore the colours and textures of this shoot. The effects they've used are also amazing. They've tried to mix western silhouettes with oriental details and the totality looked modern and really bohemian.

More on: http://vogue.com.tr/
Source: Vogue Tr. August 2012

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!