vrijdag 8 augustus 2014

Modern Day Nymph: Jemima Kirke

By Neslihan

You know those girls who have this natural bohemian vibe going on? The ones that don't stuff their hair with fake plastic floral crowns in order to show you that they don't give two shits about fashion. They're the girls I'm jealous of. Seriously, how do they pull that off? How do they look effortlessly cool and yet comfortable in their fashionable -they'd shoot you for using that word- granny dresses? I already paid an ode to Florence -absolute babe- Welch on this blog and praised her fiery hair and floor length gowns but I think I'm girl-crushing AGAIN. The object of my crush is 'Girls' star Jemima Kirke. Not only do I love her character, Jessa, in 'Girls' but also her personal off screen style. I love how she wears what she wants and how she doesn't care about 'body-flattering' fashion. As if being curvy is a crime and you should be punished for it by restricting your clothing choices. That's the only thing I hate about make-over shows like 'Trinny and Susannah'. Let everyone wear what she/he damn likes, you know?! That's why I love people like Lena Dunham and Jemima Kirke. They're absolutely stunning girls and don't give a fuck about Holywood's body standards and they're so creative and smart with fashion. They don't wish to be a fashion designer's pet and lend their bodies as fashion advertisments. They stay true to their own personal style and taste and I think that's what makes you credible in life: TO BE AS YOU ARE. One philosophy I will never abandon. Jemima's personal style can be best described as dusty attic glamour pimped with vinatge witchy gems. Jemima loves comfort and clothing with a story. So she'll visit the local flea market to look for 2nd hand kaftans and used brown leather bags instead of rushing to dig in the sales of huge boutiques. She often reminds me of this fairy who got lost and found herself in 21st century NYC. It seems as if every day is a dress up show for Jemima, yet she manages not to overdo it and look enviably naturel. Jemima often wears long dresses, kaftans made from rich fabrics and jewelery with authenticity. It sounds as if the whole can be quite dramatic but she tones it down with the hair and make-up. Looking pure and healthy is always the most important. She's never excessive with make-up, the most excessive thing she does is probably pop up some vampy red lipstick. When it comes to hair, she chooses a messy bun or loose nymph hair over a glamour look.

P R E A C H I N G
The reason I posted this is, I want Jemima to inspire us. I want us to feel as if all options are open and there are endless possibilities. I want us not only to copy Jemima's style but also her body positivity. Let's feel incredibly beautiful and embrace our curves and stretchmarks. Let's celibrate it with cropped tops and hotpants because a body like yours should be seen anytime.

Ps. I'm so sorry for the different sizes of the pictures. It looks so incredibly unprofessional but I never claimed to be a whizzkid either. I wished I had some graphic skillz, then I'd probably be able to create more than just silly, colourful paint frames.






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!