vrijdag 13 april 2012

They can look through you

By Neslihan
Hello there,
It's been a bit quiet around here but this blog post will change that fact. I won't share something fashiony today but it has to do with art. So back in September when Walter van Beirendonck, a Belgian fashion designer, (read) was editor for a day for a Belgian newspaper, I saw a photograph taken by Diane Arbus. And I was thrilled. Looking at this picture made me realise that I wasn't analysing the picture but the picture was analysing me. You get the inevitable impression that it just keeps staring at you. It's so freaky and so incredibly intense but also too beautiful and perfect to be true. It's so loud in all its serenity that it becomes really shocking. And for a certain moment I felt like I couldn't look away, it just holds your attention and makes you look at it every time again. Wikipedia describes Diane's work this way: "Diane Arbus was known for her photographs of outsiders and people on the fringes of society. " And I couldn't have said it better because it's so true. All though her work is about the so said 'outsiders' or weirdos, it's never her intention to ridiculise someone. She just makes you look at her photographs and look back and back and back...
Identical twins, Rossele, New Jersey, 1967 (the picture I'm talking about above)
Teenage couple on Hudson street, NYC, 1963
Girl sitting in bed with her boyfriend, NYC, 1966
Young Brooklyn family going for a Sunday outing, Brooklyn, 1966
Patriotic young man with a flag, NYC, 1967

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!