zondag 16 oktober 2011

Fashion designer, Walter van Beirendonck, becomes guest editor for a day

I was blogging on tumblr before I had this account. So I've written a couple blogs on that account as well. And most of them are still recent and too good news to let get go. That's why I'm posting one that I've written exactly a month ago. Enjoy!



Yes,yes, yes, it is true! The one and only Walter Van Beirendonck, also known as one of Belgium’s most edgy desginers, was editor for only one day. And of course you’re allowed to ask: What magazine? But I have to disappoint you, it is not a magazine! Not at all, but it is neither a disappointment. I love it when designers are experimental and kind of try out everything once. That’s what Van Beirendonck stands for, so it probably won’t surprise you when I say that he was guest editor of one of Belgium’s most read newspapers, ‘De Standaard’. This is a strange medium but also a very logical one. Van Beirendonck is known for his outstanding designs in which he combines fantasy with reality. He’s the surrealist between the designers. He’s up to date he says with the things that are happening in our world. He’s inspired by the most various things. When he’s asked whether realism was an obstacle on this workfloor, he explains (jokingly): “Oh, but only 90% of my work is very realistic. […] Besides I try to blend the themes that belong to reality with my creative work, such as terror, AIDS, the burqa… This goes well with the feeling I had when creating this newspaper. This is where we’re constantly in touch with the whole wide world.” Walter wanted to make the readers happy with this newspaper. Ever if it was only for today. That would be his main goal, he says. He accomplished his goal, I think. Because this paper is a composition of his personal world. It’s actually his mind map. The things that he’s questioning, wondering, shortly put: the things that keep him busy. The pictures and little titles/quotes are just flowing in each other, which is actually pretty cool to see because that’s how the ideas look in his head, you see? I really loved it and he says that papers should do this once and a while. It’s just so liberating to read this paper, so much fun and really inspiring. It gives you another view on certain things. And it also shows the man behind the designer, Walter Van Beirendonck. I just want to thank him for spicing up today’s newspaper and making my day! Dankuwel*!

*dankuwel: ‘thank you’ in Dutch




Source: De Standaard
Pictures: De Standaard
N.D.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!