dinsdag 18 oktober 2011

Mary Katrantzou: not the ordinary designer

Hi, I have so much to show you, guys! So, so, so much! I've saved tons and tons of pictures on my computer. Pictures of fashion collections, you know: the usual inspiring stuff. Mary Katrantzou is a name I've just (read 3 months ago) discovered. I 'discovered' this creative young lady thanks to a friend. I'd like to call him a fashion friend because that's what we do: talk about fashion. My first impression of this young Greek woman was: damn, she's different! Why? Because when other designers are extremely wearable and following the trends, she's creating her own. When other designers stay at the surface, she goes underneath it and creates the most amazing visual stuff ever. She isn't afraid of playing with volume and shapes. Her clothing, no 'clothing' sounds too less,  too ordinary, her pieces of art are 'humpy' and it's not about elegance. It's about being outspoken but not because it's cool but because she knows what to with the weirdest shapes and most loaded prints. She managed to colour my early fally days and she will continue doing that. It has always been a big discussion, is fashion a form of art? Well, after seeing Katrantzou's collection, my answer to that would be 100 % yes! She has industrial influences in her collections and uses the most magnificent colours. Your first impression can be like: "Oh, it's so outstanding. Not really wearable either." But you have to look closer, look at the materials, the prints, the colours... It is special but why not? Why not going over the top in a classy and great way? Why not Mary Katrantzou? Exactly! Watch it,  examine it and love it!











Pictures: vogue.fr
N.D.

Ps: On Thursday the 20th of October there's something we call Zuiddag here in Belgium. It's an organisation that donates money for charity. There's a different charity each year. This year's charity is going to be Tanzania. Several grades at my school will work on that day and they'll give their earned money to this organisation. This organisation will donate it to Tanzania and the money will be used to create a common place for the Tanzanian youth. A place where they can meet and find jobs and get the needed information in order to find a job. They'll learn how to work with computers as well. I think it's a wonderful charity. Each and everyone of my grade had to find a job. I have one too. I will be working in the library the University of Ghent. It's a library with Latin and Ancient Greek books. I'm super excited and cannot wait until that day! I wanted to share this so you know what's happening in my life right now and so you know that the youth of today isn't ignorant or careless Wish us luck! 

1 opmerking:

  1. one word! love! so much in love with the insane prints, they look like russian dolls and the print are so ethnical! but i am in love

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!