vrijdag 22 juni 2012

Talking 'bout Marx and Fashion

By Neslihan

It has been calm around here. As many of you might already know: june is exam month. A month during which we, students, imprison ourselves to be drowned in the pool of interesting/useless knowledge. We battle against sleepless nights, constant stress, headaches, suicidal thoughts etc. Okay, I admit, the last one was a tat exaggerated but what's life without a bit of drama and bullshit? I have been looking forward to the end of this exam period since day ONE. And if you haven't, well, then you're not human and we have nothing in common. BYE.
Today however was my final exam: an oral exam of History. As much as I love history, I was most definitely not looking forward to learn Marx' theories about alienation of the worker or the surplus value by heart. Don't get me wrong, Marx fascinates me. I just love how revolutionairy his ideas were for his time. And how he, one of the very few, raised his voice against the firm social structures. How he was able to formulate the problems in a very clear way. Those were the times during which people tried to get the esence of life.
I know how contadictional it is to write about Marx and about being an anti-capitalist (which I do not claim to be) when you're blogging constantly about the shoes you want to have or the dresses you want to wear but one is more than a blogger only. And you shouldn't take blogging too seriously. Everyone has a different vision on blogging. Well, this is mine.
I don't believe that fashion can save the world. I'm too rational for that. I do believe that fashion can make the hard walk prettier. I totally get how cliché this sounds but that's the way it is. There are more important things in life than only fashion. Fashion is a big part of my life, yes but it isn't everything. It's the thing I turn to when things get too heavy. It's a guidance through political changes. Or it's a medium to express your political disagreance. Either way I always contradict myself when it comes to fashion. I just want to say that fashion to me, is not just another random fact that is stricktly about beauty.
After this 'short' commentation on Marx et la mode I'd like to say I'm back in case you haven't noticed. I've got truckloads of subjects to blog about and seas of time to this. I'm not going to impose myself to do things during the weeks to come but my head is exploding with potential blogging subjects.
Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains.
-Karl Marx 


This new logo looks like shit. Yves Saint Laurent is known for the YSL acronym. What the fuck is wrong with you? What the fuck is wrong with humanity? I refuse to say 'Saint Laurent Paris', who says that anyway? YVES Saint Laurent for life, bitches.
Totally enchanted by Marc Jacobs' last cruise collection. I'm such a hopeless, predictible cliché.
I'm hooked to this new Turkish shoe brand, Studio Rain, I've discovered. It's brilliant! Look at those brogues with the cute purple bow. They're so cute, I wanna die. #sofluffyIwannadie
Keep it sweet and classy, girls. Peace out. 
Source: Vogue Japan june 2012


2 opmerkingen:

  1. this was such a phenomenal read
    and as cliche as this sounds....I totally feel the same way - though without enough factor knowledge about Marx, I totally respect your research...you seem incredibly passionate about this idea.
    I do too, fashion will never save the world, because those that need saving will never rely on it - how does that make sense?
    I think I'm a walking, talking - and dressing - contradiction, but the what is different about us is we are aware of the world.
    Girl, this is brilliant food for thought and I am soo inspired right now CONGRATS on the final exams dear xxx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I don't mean to be a copycat but YOUR comments made MY day. I'm so glad this post inspired you because in fashion we somehow have the idea that it always has to be breezy and light. And some people see it as a loose independent form of art but which art is completely loose or independent from social changes? None, right? This doesn't mean that fashion always has to be educational or functional. As a matter of fact fashion isn't so much about education, it's about reflection. Thank you so, so, so much for your amazing comment! X

      Verwijderen

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!