woensdag 20 februari 2013

Unusual girls

By Neslihan
There have been times during which the beauty ideal was being chosen by the media. It used to be one type of woman and she'd be hyped until another and even younger girl arrived and stepped up her scene. It was one big cycle of attention until the media and the audience would get sick of her too. She'd be set aside until another leading lady would arrive and it went on and on like that. Icons were being replaced like artistic designers are being replaced in our times but no one cared because times change and so do beauty ideals. That leaves us an amazing amount of powerful and elegant icons who have marked their time with their beauty, ideas and talents. We've put them in this little oakwood box, which we casually open to admire their beautiful pictures and then put them gently back in that box. It seems like we're trying to freeze time and are longing for glamour and pure beauty. Times have changed though because it-girls are being replaced each season instead of each year or after each new movie. And there are also different ideals of beauty now, you can be everyone you want to be and everything is inspiring. Edginess is key and statement of course because the goal is still being memorable. But what I'm wondering is: if someone asked me to sum up some of my 21st (even late 20th) century icons, who would I put in my list? I took some time and these names popped into my mind.
ATTENTION: this is a non-exhaustive list because these are the names that popped into my mind during this blog post, you can't imagine the length of the list if I actually take the time to think about some of my other feminine heroes.
1) Alek Wek
2) Chloe Sevigny
3) Zosia Mamet
4) Florence Welch
5) Robyn
6) Kristen McMenamy
7) Rossy de Palma
8) Lara Stone
9) Lou Doillon

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!