donderdag 21 februari 2013

Rather boyish

By Neslihan
Sometimes I look at girls my age and the way they're dressed, looking all very fancy and feminine. Then I look at myself wearing my Doc Martens, old jeans and a loose shirt and I'm thinking it will take me a long time to become elegant. It will take me a long time to eat, walk and talk elegantly. It will take me a very long time to actually become a 'woman'. Maybe I will never entirely succeed (clothing wise) because I choose comfort over glamour and derbies over heels. I can't help it, I feel like I'm creating a sort of uniform, or manly second skin, call it what you want. I feel good in it, I feel like the way I dress totally connects with the way I think and I feel like that's really important: to dress as you are in daily life and not having to play a role. I mean of course we all 'play' a role on a certain level but it's another thing to behave like someone you're not. That would make me really uncomfortable.
I actually think I would do a great job if I were born a guy. I love shirts, brogues, loose blazers and ties! Today I was looking at myself while I put together a manly look and I was in awe. Simple totally works for me, straight to the point and all on the surface. Just the way I try to be. That's why I've created three little collages that embrace my fashion mottoes and unite those with a couple of my male crushes and a little story telling.
Joseph Gordon Levitt is this cute, childishly vulnerable nerd who dresses in an accessibly classy way. He's into brown velvetty fabrics, sophisticated ties and perfectly tailored blazers. That of course accompanied with a slightly smiling cute bearded face. 
See Joseph and I would make an excellent couple: we're equally goofy and nerdy. And we both have this playful naiveté. On top of that we're into refined basics and beautiful fabrics: letting the clothing speak for itself without accessorizing it. Those Paul Smith goodies do that all the same. I'm wearing the shirt and the shoes to grab a lunch at the Soup Lounge. We decide to get a bowl of pumpkin soup and share an apple because we're both incredibly cheesy.

Up next: my date with Frank Ocean. It's 8.30 PM and we're both thirsty (didn't mean to rhyme that one). We decide to enter Bar Des Amis and drink a couple of fresh cocktails. We have to hury because Frank has got to perform at the Vooruit. So we drink our Mojitoes and leave the bar. Even though it's late, it's still not dark outside. There's this tropical warmth outside and Frank's dressed according to it. He's wearing his silk Versace shirt, red & white bandana and a khaki bermuda with espadrilles.


Nothing actually says more 'tropical' than Maarten van der Horst's past summer collection. The palmtrees, the florals, the bright colours, it was a total wardrobe party! Of course I'm not buying my own van der Horst shirt because that's totally unnecessary since Frank's letting me borrow his. (The shorts are from the Maarten van der Horst X Topshop summer '12 collection.)
After having enjoyed my darling Frank's concert I'm meeting up with Chistopher -'Girls'- Abbot. He's wearing a chunky black, knitted sweater and this creates an amazing effect with his beard. He proposes to watch a movie together so we go to the Studio Skoop to grab an artsy film. We decide to watch 'Moonrise Kingdom' which is btw totally not being shown in the cinemas anymore. (DVD DU-UH) Chrissy bee (his lovely little nickname) and I are tired, so we decide to end this day in the cinema cafĂ©. We order a waffle and espresso and he drives us back home.
Christopher and I are both into chunky and simple pieces that are easy to combine with the rest of our closet. Those black The Kooples shorts and pull have that kind of versatile vibe going on. I decide to wear those two garments with a pair of edgy, brown, vintage boots and I match the pull with a big necklace.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opinions, suggestions or questions: don't hesitate and react!